The village of Wolvercote has a long history, and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book. By 1821 there were 90 families living in 87 houses containing 493 people.
The village has grown steadily since that time and although for all practical purposes it is almost a suburb of Oxford, it still remains essentially a village.
By 1815 a school had been founded in the village by the parish on "Bell's Monitorial System" whereby the older children taught the younger ones! The oldest part of our building - the "infant school" - dates back to 1897. The larger, slightly later part housed the senior children.
In the 1960s, a link was built between the two parts and the school became a primary school for children up to 11 years of age. In 1974 it became a First School for children from 5 to 9 years. Owing to the closure of St. Michael's Infant School in 1975, the nursery class was moved to an adjoining building and became part of the school.
Further alterations and improvements took place in 1996, and then from September 2002, the school changed status to become a Primary School again, as part of the re-organisation of Oxford City schools. This change involved the addition of two new classrooms, a new nursery, and a new and much larger school hall.
In 2015, two hundred years since the founding of the first school, Wolvercote School expanded once again, with three new classrooms, a studio for music and drama, a kitchen for children and additional rooms for small group work.
The school joined the River Learning Trust on 1st November 2015, a Multi Academy Trust, with local primary and secondary schools working together to provide an excellent education for all.